The London Hyperbaric unit at Whipps Cross Hospital and the East of England Hyperbaric unit at James Paget Hospital have 24/7 Consultant Anaesthetist cover to treat such cases. Speak directly to one of our consultants now on our 24/7 hotlines:

BartsHealth Hyperbaric Unit,

 07999 292 999

James Paget University Hospital,
Great Yarmouth

 01493 603 151

London Hyperbaric Medicine treats between 40 to 60 patients per year suffering from severe carbon monoxide poisoning.

Patients are referred to us for treatment by A & E departments from all over the Southeast of England.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Danger - Carbon MonoxideCarbon monoxide (CO) is the most common cause of death by poisoning in the UK. It is a colourless, odourless gas which forms a part of the gas produced by burning. This can include smoke from fires, car exhaust, or exhaust gas from central heating.

The emergency treatment of acute Carbonmonoxide poisoning at our specialist Category 1 Hyperbaric chambers, is fully funded by NHS England.

Poisoning can be acute (less than 24 hours) or chronic (more than 24 hours). The symptoms of poisoning can include loss of consciousness, which is the most serious factor for those who survive the injury. But it is also possible to have other symptoms, including headache, confusion and memory loss, or loss of balance.

Patients who suspect they have Carbon Monoxide Poisoning should dial 999 or go straight to A & E. Patients with CO poisoning are taken to an Accident & Emergency department, where they are assessed and given oxygen by face-mask. If the problems are severe, patients may be sent to a suitable Hyperbaric Medicine department for intensive treatment. London Hyperbaric Medicine also receives patients directly from specially trained ambulance crews.

Patients suffering from severe Carbon Monoxide poisoning should only be treated by Hyperbaric Facilities offering the full range of NHS back-up services. London Hyperbaric Medicine is currently the only facility within London approved to treat all categories of Emergency Referrals for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and ais to treat patients within 36 hours of leaving the CO environment.

The evidence suggests that Hyperbaric Oxygen reduces the risk of later illnesses, which can develop after the first illness is over. Recent research has appeared to show that oxygen by face-mask is just as effective as Hyperbaric Oxygen. However, other research due for publication this year suggests that Hyperbaric Oxygen is better than the oxygen treatment normally given in hospital. This applies only to patients who are severely affected.

Download DoH Info on CO poisoning (pdf file)

The Department of Health has included the treatment of CO poisoning in its definition of Hyperbaric Oxygen services, which was published in the autumn of 2002.